90db and musiclover,

I knew when I made that post that I was inviting some grief. Thank both of you for making that dream come true. Hehe.

Sorry guys, but I hate listening to vocal cover tunes unless they’re totally redone. I also hate playing what people want to hear! The only time I’ll play a request is if it’s from a friend who knows the songs I like to play.

That’s why I never pursued playing music professionally except on a very limited basis. I honestly don’t give a rat’s a*s what anyone wants to hear!

I’ve played guitar since I was a kid. Eventually, I got to the point where I could play half way decent. Then I started getting requests from local bands to “join” their band. I wasn’t interested because I had NO desire to try to please the public with cover tunes.

Since I’ve never tried making a living playing music, I’ve enjoyed the luxury of only playing songs I like. Then I started writing my own songs, and I honestly didn’t care if anyone else liked them or not.

The songs weren’t for the general public. They were for me. When I played them, folks could either listen or take a hike. It didn’t matter to me since it wasn’t a form of income.

The exception to the “cover tune” scenario for me was great instrumental tunes. Those I enjoyed.

Bob, If you think modern bluegrass/newgrass is G/C/D, then you’re TOTALLY out of touch with acoustic music.

I don’t begrudge working musicians playing the garbage required to get gigs, but I do reserve the right to stay as far away from it as possible.

I'd rather hear a local radio program or the original versions of hit tunes.

I don't want to hear a single or duo with backing tracks.

But that's just me. This thread does make me realize why live cover music is almost dead.

Who wants to hear that?! I don't unless it's done with a full blown band.