Herb,
thanks for the feedback... after about 24 hours and no replies I was starting to wonder if maybe I was hearing it wayyy differently than everybody else.

To answer your questions:

it's standard tuning... I'm just playing single notes, so there's no need for different tunings... the harmony pedal takes care of all the places where a lap steel player would have to angle the bar to stay in key.

And yes, the strings are raised with a .080" diameter pin swiped from an old elastic-style capo that I don't use anymore. But a nail works just as well. In when you need it, out when you don't. No need for a 2nd guitar with higher action.

I cranked this video out in one take just to get something posted, so be aware that a performance that is actually geared toward emulating a steel guitar would naturally sound closer than this. In retrospect, I should have used the volume pedal more and also should have used the slide a lot more to transition from note to note. As recorded, the notes are uncharacteristically abrupt for a steel... but it still gives the listener an idea for experimentation.

edit: also some reverb with a long decay also helps