Blown away here in NC... really great job. First listen....

I can hear this playing as underscore in a film, following and during a "dark scene" in the plot. Also, this could fit into the end of some series on TV such as the Walking dead. They often have a song that reflects the feelings & emotions of the characters at the end of every show. This could easily fit that bill.

This has a certain indy feel to it that seems to be the popular thing in TV & film these days.

As such, be careful when... or if... you "fix" the vocal track for pitch issues. If you fix it, use a good pitch fixer like MELODYNE... don't screw it up with a cheap one that leaves artifacts....and don't...don't fix it to the 100% level as you would for a country song. The pitchiness is a crucial part of the overall, vibe that puts this one over the bar. The slightly off key notes, the quaver in the voice, even the cracks in the vox.... all contribute to the character of the song. That new mic is doing a fine job picking up all the nuances in your voice. After listening 6+ times to this and intently I might add, I would not pitch correct this tune. The only thing I would fix on the vox is the high end almost sibilent stuff.... tame that, don't kill the vox character by taking it out totally.

I heard a few places where the highs cracked a bit. "CARRY" me away... was one. You want a nice clean vox track. Be very cautious when working on the vox with EQ. The answer is NOT to pull the highs down, try to fix or record (punch in) on the really bad highs that are overloaded, distorted, or cracked. There's a delicate balance to get the mellowness and retain the "air" in the sound of the vox. Be careful there because it is minor in most places and doesn't need a heavy hand. I'd probably try a narrow band para eq to get that one freq range and pull it down only a few db. That may or may not be the answer. Sometimes a punch in on a small section to repair a mouth sound is the best option. Experiment.

IMHO, the vox are close to perfect. Just fix the occasional high/crack. Are you using a pop filter? I use a filter and sing at 45 degrees to the capsule especially on the "S" sounds and the "P"'s... I didn't hear any pops so that's not at issue. I'd save that existing vocal track and mute it..... record again but back off a few inches further. That short distance is sometimes all that's needed to fix that high "S" problem. You will still keep the intimate aspect.

On the 4th listen ....

I like this a lot. The lyrics are so freaking creative....

The mix is nearly perfect perfect (minor things I mentioned above) , the voice sets in it perfectly, the holds are in the right places,,,,,

One thing I would do..... at the end, I notice you add an "echo" of " Down ".... I would edit that out. It's not needed and sounds more like it was pasted in as opposed to recorded there originally. Just let it fade to black. I think that would be a more appropriate ending to the song. The other issue...and this could be debated, is the length. Just a wee bit too long for TV/Film, but.... they would edit the song to the parts they want anyway... so not a really big issue. 3.5 to 4 is normal length, but then again...there's so much to say in the song....

Yup... overall, I'd "fix" very little on this....

5th listen..... Listening intently to the lyrics.... wow...just wow. I wish some of my song lyrics would just "write themselves" like that.

I'm impressed Greg. Without a doubt, this is my favorite song on this forum by anyone since I've been listening here. Good songwriting.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.