Having lived within walking distance of the White Horse Pike and specifically in Lindenwold..... this reminded me of a little Italian place in town where I used to work,,,,, a place called simply "Dom's" by the locals. Great food, good drink, but not for me.... I worked there as a teen, washing dishes and helping in the kitchen which was run by the owner's wife.... a slave driving, clock watching wench if there ever was one.

The song was cool.... well written and a good take on the frustration of many people who see no real future for themselves... nothing but a dreary day in day out same old same old daily existence. I've known many, many people who fit into the lyrics of your song.

This is similar in many aspects to some of Bruce Springsteen's early writing. Use of the accordion, piano, strings..... gritty subject.... I was waiting for the screaming sax solo....(just kidding) This shows a new and interesting direction and aspect to your writing. I like how you are willing to take risks and go into new areas. And not the easiest of areas, might I add. Good stuff.

Brandy Clark..... the word "amazing" is simply insufficient to describe her writing. At a recent (last month) NSAI songwriter's meeting.... one of the better writers in the group came up to me and we talked for some time about the songs we had presented and music and writing in general. The conversation spilled out the door and into the parking lot as the staff were closing and locking the doors for the evening. He handed me a CD and told me to listen to "the girl at the end" of the home made cd. It was Brandy. I think it's about half of her album. To say I'm blown away by the writing on that disk would be an understatement. Wow.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.