Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

I've been away from the forums for a while! Unfortunately the demands of real life have made it impossible to keep up with anything computer related (that also included writing songs). Even my smartphone couldn't help. Anyway, that's all in the past now and odd windows of opportunity are presenting themselves. Yay smile

“This Old Heart” was the very first song I listened to when, for the first time in ages, I popped into the User's Showcase.

I have to echo everyone else's comments and say, “Wow! What a solid write: inventive and captivating lyrics, great melody, perfect arrangement and all of these iced with a top notch production. Really good stuff!”

I have to say that I like the way you've taken the AABA song form and tweaked it to suit your needs. Varying the “first time through” final A-section from the “second time through” final A-section works really well. I also like the repetition of the very first A-section of the song as the final section. It strongly strengthens meaning.

After the song had finished playing, I read through the lyrics because, as you know, I always enjoy looking at the way your lyric movement complements your melody and harmony. “This Old Heart” did not disappoint.

As I read through the lyrics, one of the first things that stood out was the refrain at the end of each A-section. The “L” sounds that rolled along throughout the phrase “still a lot of loving left” had a sonic cohesion that made the line flow beautifully to my ears. Also, using the refrain at the end of the B-section struck me as unusual but very effective. It definitely worked for me. (I made a note that it's something I must try sometime.)

Loved it!

It's great to be able to be back online again.

All the best,
Noel

Noel...

First of all... WELCOME BACK!!! So glad to "see" you... you have been missed, my friend...

I always so enjoy reading your analysis of a song - you seem to savor a lyric and melody like a fine glass of wine - and allow the rest of us to watch as you look at it's legs against the light and expound on its various flavors and influences... it is a delight...

Thanks for all those very kind words... much appreciated...

floyd