Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Rockstar_not

Maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at but , and I've been playing MIDI guitar(s) since '89,

MIDI guitar can only "phrase" and play like another instrument as well as the particular guitar player can imitate and think like a keyboard player, horn player, bow player, reed player, stick & twig user,….

Ditto a keyboard player (wind player, stick & twig user, …) can seldom phrase and make a guitar patch sound like a guitar player, horn player, etc.

Larry

Larry, I think you nailed it. I don't disagree with you. It's a fairly rare thing to hear a keyboard player properly emulate a sax with a sax patch, etc., without a certain amount of 'weirdness' to the ending sound. However, I think that I've heard more keys patches take advantage of some of the additional controls on keyboards to help the emulation a little farther along with solo instruments. I haven't heard decent midi triggered guitar until about a year ago - there's a product line from Amplesound which to my ear sounds quite good in a mix, triggered via proper phrasing on keys.

But the solo instruments that I've heard triggered from midi guitar to my ear have just slightly less realism - I don't know if it's the fact that there's no damper pedal to sustain notes selectively or what, but it just sounds slightly more unrealistic to my ear.

I could be all wrong about this; I don't feel that I've done a good job explaining myself about what I notice with midi guitar triggered sounds.