At first I was hesitant to submit until I read Pat Marr's stupid idea post and saw that I either do exactly or a variation of 4 out of six of his ideas. So, that eliminates any risk my material for a cover will sound stupid. It will.

I ran the automobile upholstery section of an upholstery shop for several years and beyond the car upholstery, my section did all of the unconventional upholstery jobs such as tractor seats, boat seats, airplane interiors and more than a fair share of guitar amps, speaker enclosures, etc. Diamond tufted and roll/pleated speakers were the rage down here. Soft vinyl was normally the material of choice. Vinyl use to be called Naugahyde. Joke use to be how many Naugha's did you kill and skin this week?

But I'm drifting off subject. Back to the subject. Guitar amp covers are almost universally still made using vinyl material. There is a low cost alternative that is breathable and durable as vinyl and equally as good at repelling rain and dust. Cuts and sews as easily ( actually better as a commercial machine is not required, a regular sewing machine will do just fine.) The material does not stretch when sewing as does cotton pillow cases or t-shirts.

So, any electronic equipment where you normally may choose a vinyl cover, you can substitute this material, which is .... Dog food bags.

Dog food bags work marvelously for this. If you like the picture on the bag you cut around it and center it on the front, otherwise, simply use the inside of the bag as the outside. Patches and such are easily sewn on the material if you want to dress up the cover a bit. Extra material can be used to sew pockets onto it if desired. Moisture should not be a concern unless as someone stated, you are in an area with high humidity. Readily available desiccant bags may be a good idea if you are concerned but even here in the high humidity of coastal South Carolina, I have never had an issue with moisture.

If you have dogs, this is a recyclable freebie, if not, you can by the size bag or bags needed and donate the dog food to the local animal shelter and have them save bags for you.

Last edited by c_fogle; 08/11/14 09:18 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.