There are more music instructional materials than any of us can shake a stick at - but some are better than others. My foundation was the "Alfred Guitar Method" and the "Sal Salvador" single string studies books (more than 30 years ago !!! lol). And of course, books come and go, and we take away from them what we can.

If you've recently worked through a book or method, and have (or are) benefiting greatly from it, please share the title and what you like about it.

I'll go first of course - Alfred and Sal Salvador were great books, but as a flamenco guitar student, I've recently discovered the following 3-set method, which addresses theory for all players:

Modal Improvisation and Melodic Construction in the Flamenco Environment
(website - http://vgediciones.com/)

As a reference books, and for clear presentation of theory with very clear explanations, these are the best I've seen. They also include extensive musical examples - more in particular modes than I've seen in any books. You can actually use the examples to test your ear for the modes.

The website offers many musical examples that you can listen to, and the books explain how each has been developed.

Share your suggestions with me - any instrument, any genre.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited by Joe V; 08/15/14 06:26 AM.