"Cool song.... nice renditions by all. I love some good blues. Floyd did a good job on the guitar."

Glad you like it Herb. And, yes, he did a good job and heckuva debut!

"I was noticing the sound of the total mix sounded a bit close to distortion in a few places so....out of curiosity, I DL'd the file and opened it in my editor. "

You are, of course, listening to and analyzing the SoundCloud file. SC over compresses with their algorithms to some folks' ears. I've read about it. If they in effect add compression to an already heavily compressed file then perhaps the aggregate would be too compressed. There is intentionally more than my usual compression to this as we did not want an open airy sound. We wanted something gritty, heavy, dank -- that is supporting of the suffocating feeling of the lyric.

Of course I can't control how SC treats it short of remixing just for them with less gain and compression. For reference here is a mono screenshot from my editor (of course a difference in the X axis time scale can make the waveform different in appearance). Yes, it is noticeably and intentionally compressed but not to the degree that your editor showed from the SC file and no evidence of clipping. Interestingly I downloaded my own file from SC and it doesn't appear different from the upload in the editor. Perhaps their compression, etc., is variable based on traffic. Dunno but I always check these potential issues before wrapping a mix.

Edit: FWIW I regenerated the mp3 file with no changes to the levels on my end and uploaded it to SC. I then downloaded it but the waveform looks the same as in original in my DAW.