Floyd: Thanks for listening and commenting in detail as you did. Lots of good points in your observations. I was aware of the cliche's and the issue you mentioned with "her presence" in verses 2 & 3. I could go into a discussion of what I was thinking but that doesn't matter since it was 30 years ago. The only thing that really matters is what a new listener, such as yourself, "hears" in the words of the song. Clearly, there are issues that could stand some resolution and perhaps I will work on a rewrite of this to be a bit more coherent and consistent in the story line of the song. I have this in for some "professional" ears to critique so it will be interesting to see how "they" hear this tune. I will let you know what "they" say when I hear back from "them". (I may just PM you if this song is down the page a bit at that point)

Rewriting it is something I will certainly consider. Back when I wrote this, I was not rewriting any of the stuff I wrote, so this version essentially amounts to the first draft version of the song. Thanks again for the in depth look into the lyrics.

One more thing: I did in fact consider putting a slapback on the lead vox. I have it on the BGV but they are kinda low and it's not audible. If I record this again after I consider the rewrite of the lyrics, I may experiment with the vox slapback fx a bit.

Josie: Thanks.... it was a quick recording on the vocals..... so I didn't really spend much time on them....maybe that's what I need to do on all my tunes.... slam those vox into the track and let it roll.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/24/14 05:39 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.