floyd,
thank you, thank you and again thank you!!!
Quote:
I am totally impressed with your choice of instruments and how you made them sound so DIFFERENT. What did you do to that bass to make it stand out so distinctly and yet be perfectly "in the mix"??????

I always drag and drop the tracks in stereo and I was mixing the music bed, ie piano and bass, and the bass just kept disappearing or I had to have it heavily effected.
Then I had one of those "I wonder what will happen if I do that" moments.
In my DAW Cubase SX1.06 (10+ years old)there is an audio processing effect called reverse phase where one can reverse the phase of either channel or both; both made the bass very weak so I reversed the left channel(random choice) and HOLY COW there it was... Bass AND piano sitting together.Complimentary frequencies on one channel ...gone!! I have no real idea why it works but it did, in this song definitely!! Side effect was the string slap was a bit more pronounced but MEH crazy I can live with that! Also the pan was a little one side heavy, forget which, which was easy to adjust.

After a little dance I tried doing the same to the piano this time, but it was different but not, to my ears, as pronounced.

This technique doesn't always work, as I have gone back to some of my songs trying it, BUT it sometimes works with 2 different RT guitars, both similar ie acoustic or electric, or an RT 12 str guitar and my DI'd 12 string.

I also use Steinberg Mastering suite which has a Loudness Maximiser and that always runs on the pre-mastering mix, adjusted to taste. This suite is the main reason I will not upgrade from XP pro as the suite seems not to exist now.

Anyway so glad you enjoyed!!
I should I suppose post this in the tips and tricks section; I don't use RealBand and the effect may exist in there somewhere.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for listening

Alyn