Beth,

this may be the first of your songs I've heard. My gut feeling is that you did a good job of latching onto familiar themes then embellishing them with personal touches to make it your own.

The familiar:
the 3 chord pattern in the body of the song reminded me of many hypnotic Fleetwood Mac tunes everybody loves, or the 60's San Francisco sound which was equally trancelike.

The layered background vocals remind me of Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall" sound

Establishing subtle links to songs that have stood the test of time and won the hearts of multiple generations of music lovers is a highly desirable accomplishment.

Your Own:
Rog's use of horns adds something new that differentiates your song from my memories of other songs. I automatically like everything Rog does, his musical sensibilities seem to mirror my own... although I suspect we would not articulate our choices in exactly the same way.

Your lyrics are what really set this song apart from anything else and make it yours alone. You paint an unmistakable portrait with your words, and I would hate to be the person you are singing about!

Regarding the guitar, I really liked the understated feel it provided, As such, I was glad it did not ramp up in volume. It serves a supporting role, and to my ears it was perfect in its application.

The melody reminded me of Mitch Easter (band:"Let's Active"), and I like that style. I find myself wishing that you had sung your own song, But Andy did a great job of it, and maybe it is his voice that reminded me of Mitch Easter... but the melody did too.

All in all a very positive first impression for me! Thanks for posting!

(Rog: I found myself wishing for more reverb on the horns. I know you don't get requests for MORE reverb very often, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to express my thoughts on the topic) wink