Hey Joe....

Nice song and good work using BB & RB. Nice writing job. I'd like to see the lyrics somewhere. It's a bit hard for these old ears to understand all the words clearly.

I think the use of period instruments was really well done.

On the kick.... hummmm... it was ok but not quite on the spot as Kemmrich pointed out. Sounded kinda dry... more of a thud than a solid kick. Sometimes you have to think out of the box. I have used a cardboard box, the desk surface with the fleshy part of my closed fist, and yeah, even my drum samples to get closer to the sound I'm looking.

Also EQ, compression and verb needs to be applied. Perhaps even try layering and see how that sounds....in other words... experiment.

I think there are a few country artists that are popular now that are delving back into this period style of music.... The Band Perry being the first one that comes to mind. Listen closely to modern period to see how they use the kick and try to emulate that in your tunes.

All in all, an excellent tune and welcome to the users forum..... looking forward to hearing interesting and enjoyable things from you in the future.

EDIT: since you called this a "demo" are you planning on finishing it? I'm not a big fan of faded endings, I'd rather her the song wrapped up nicely..... although I do fade my bluegrass tribute Ode to Wolf, but of course, my buddy died, so the fade is representative of losing him..... But back to your tune.... I'd like to hear this one in it's finished version..... assuming that you plan to do so.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/09/14 04:27 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.