Pardon me for not reading all the posts in this thread. I just got back from a vacation in the Czech Republic and there is a lot to catch up on and so little time (and here I am 'wasting' some).

I am anti-auto tune for a few reasons, most importantly:
  • It sounds bad to my ears
  • There are thousands of singers out there who have practiced, worked, and honed the ability to sing in tune - auto tune allows people who cannot sing to take their jobs away - I know there isn't any fairness in the world, but it's like letting only a few athletes use steroids to beat the ones that don't
  • Music is expressive because of the nuances - the god is in the details so to speak. Many of those nuances involve toying with pitch - hitting a note a little flat to express angst, or a little sharp to be bright - slowly or rapidly sliding to pitch, falling off or rising the pitch up at the end of a note, varying both the intesity and speed of vibrato - and so forth - Auto Tune takes that expression out of the music - For a great example, listen to Otis Redding sing the line "You are tired, and you want to be free" on the song I've been loving you too long. He hits "Tired" flat, gradually pulls it up almost to pitch and it expresses his pain. If he hit it perfectly it wouldn't sound like pain. I manipulate pitch on my voice, sax, guitar, synths, and even my backing tracks.

Of course it isn't going to go away any time soon (if at all), so I'll simply listen to something else.

While on vacation I went to concerts by the Czech Philharmonic and the Prague Symphony orchestras and attended a Dvorak Opera with non-auto-tuned singers and a live orchestra in the pit. Real music. The auto-tune people won't get my dollars, but then, they don't need mine, it's obviously easy to fool most of the people most of the time.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks