Hi John,
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
to me, labeling someone's use of technology as "cheating" reeks of elitism. <snip>

As stated, I don't sing, I play trombone, BUT I'll happily accept the title of "elitist" if that attitude will improve my trombone playing.

I want to be the best I can be, not the best some technology can pretend I am.

And I still ask the question: "What is in tune?" In fairness, if ALL the instruments you are using in your work are equal tempered, then that is the temperament you should be in tune to, but that isn't always the case.

When you start using unfretted strings and wind instruments (whose players can easily bend notes - and you can't bend a guitar string flat) you open up a whole new universe.

Even if the only one is an upright bass or fretless bass guitar - you immediately have a whole new (or is that old) world to play in.

Oh, and here is an observation that might have relevance - It seems to me that musicians who play unfretted instruments NATURALLY play just temperament, it's actually an effort to play even temperament and you have to listen very carefully to the fretted instruments (inc. piano/kbd etc) to do so.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!