Originally Posted By: Lawrie
It seems to me that Jazz has fallen into disfavour with the majority of the listening public because they have had their musical pallette trained to the point where interesting chords like 11ths and 13ths or half and full diminished's sound "wrong"

The listening public has had their musical sophistication deliberately "dumbed down" by the recording companies. I think this is a very sad thing

maybe the public got tired of jazz because it is kinda boring? nah, just kidding but I personally do not enjoy it at all. I would not leave a store if I heard it but I'd pass the jazz bar to find some rock'n'roll or bluegrass any day!

I think it may be wrong to blame record companies. They put something out there and watch the sales. If they go up...record company produces more of that. If they go down...record company tried something else! I betcha if someone really tried they could add some jazz to some more contemporary music and bring it back...maybe we could get Mumford & Sons to lay off the banjo for awhile and pick up the trombone? laugh