Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
even though I'm a mediocre singer, I wouldn't use AT to make my vocals sound better than they actually are.

just curious if you also eschew EQ and de-essers? or anything else an engineer might typically use to improve a vocal track? would double-tracking a vocal also be "cheating"?

I'll answer your questions in order. No. No. No.

I'm not anti music technology; I'm anti auto tune. But if someone else wants to use AT, they should use it. AT is here to stay whether folks like me and a few others on the forum approve of it or not.

I just think it's a good idea to point out that if vocalists put in the time and effort to practice vocal drills, exercises and sing diatonic scales, chords and arpeggios on a daily basis, they can significantly improve their range, pitch control and vocal quality; maybe even to the point of not needing AT.

It's better than telling vocalists not to sweat it because AT will fix it in the mix. It's also okay to let them know that at least some people think they're shortchanging other vocalists who have put in the time and effort to improve their vocals every time they rely on AT instead of a solid performance based on unrelenting drills and practice.

Someday, probably in the near future, someone will invent a program called Auto Solo or something similar. It will take an instrumentalists out of key, out of time lackluster solo and turn it into a well played, tasteful and creative solo.

I'll be against that too.