Dean,

In the same sense that Floyd's (and many others') observations about his/their own songs tend to be illuminating to the rest of us, please consider the fact that you are well positioned to raise the general music acumen of this group.

Your statements about music are clearly profound and well-considered... and I think it is true to say that most of us are here to learn from those who know more... you being pretty much at or near the top of the heap in terms of musical knowledge. But therein lies the problem. You are so highly developed musically and intellectually that you can't speak at our (or maybe I should exclude everyone else and say "at MY") level of comprehension.

Believe it or not, I have a high desire to understand the points you want to make.

At the risk of encouraging you to demean us by addressing us as inferiors (which I don't believe you would ever do) I hope for a middle ground where the teacher in you comes to an understanding of the class's knowledge base, then starts building from there. (Good luck on that.. its a diverse class.)

Your last post approaches that goal. It tells me that you added a layer of complexity to the song that draws its excellence from the application of human intellect. I understand that concept, and I want to know more.

What you have been doing is great: you outline a theoretical musical principle, give an example, then expound on it. That's classic academia. My suggestion is that you continue doing the same, but with more fundamental principles.

Beyond those generic requests I am powerless to be more specific.

I am VERY happy that you are on this forum, and I would hate for you to get discouraged and leave for lack of meaningful communication with the rest of us. Having said all that.. even if you never manage to find a common denominator of thought here in the forum, you still inspire all of us by the exhibition of sheer skill in all of your posts. Just the awareness of what is possible... that in itself adds immeasurable value to the forum.

On a different note: thanks for your retirement well-wishes! Maybe it will "deliver the goods" if I can just keep from having the days swallowed up by the internet. ;-(