Quote:
I had that thought at one point, but rejected it (quickly). It is a very effective technique, but can easily sound "gimmicky" - and I think in this case it would. Her "drive away" is not just an end. It is a new beginning...

this is the sort of thing that separates the pros from everybody else. I would make all the corny newbie mistakes. Thanks for taking time to explain why you made the choices you did... it really does help me to hear the song you hope we will hear instead of hearing some other song that yours reminds us of.

Also thanks for taking time to post the version I asked for! That's way above the call of duty~!

I have to admit, my Philistine sensibilities liked the second version. But, after hearing your explanations, I have a whole new appreciation for the first version.

Quote:
Hi, Pat! I know I speak for everyone when I say "It is SO nice to have you back in the Showcase on a regular basis!" Your song/performance assessments are interesting, insightful and thought provoking.

well, that's a very kind thing to say, but... if anything, the past 3 weeks in this forum have pretty much reinforced what I already suspected. I'm no song writer, and I have no business offering my opinion on the creative efforts of others. Because all of my experience with BIAB/RB involves imitating existing works, I automatically gravitate toward ideas that are "old news", whereas the original song writer needs to resist that urge and do something recognizable, but new. My comments on this song illustrate the incompatibility of both perspectives. As long as everybody understands where my observations originate, maybe my reviews won't come across as being judgmental.