"Pat, I have tried it all on this tone quest. Miked, Direct, Clean, Processed, Preamp only, Miked and direct at the same time, etc. I am now approaching it from a different angle - got a new pickup coming. One of these days I'll get it right. I've got to lose the mid range honk and when I tried to EQ it out it was only getting worse. I have several more songs in the pipeline waiting on steel, but they are on hold until I figure this out. Thanks for the suggestion. Tom"

Tom, your musicianship, writing, arranging and production skills are at the very top of the heap here on the BiaB forum. That being said, the pedal steel is a very complicated instrument utilizing non-standard tuning that I would imagine sometimes even test the skills of industry mixing experts.

With the consistent quality you and then you along with Janice and Bud bring to the forum, in my opinion, your work is of such value to lead me to suggest you consider finding an engineer you could submit wav files to get "that" right sound for your pedal steel. Maybe more expensive than a new preamp or pickup. Your recordings are some of the cleanest recordings here. Just the thought of more of your work on hold in the pipeline compelled me to speak out. Just the very thought.... just sayin' man.......

Besides, it's an easy way to pick the engineers brain on techniques and tricks.

( I'll go along with your judgement on the pedal steel sound you desire but I can't find fault in what I've already heard from you. )

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.