There is a phrase called the "letter of the law" vs. the spirit. I have paid for BIAB (and EVERY upgrade) since 1.0 and have never given away a copy to a "needy" friend. I have been asked hundreds of times.

On the other hand, I have often seen frantic requests for leads sheets of obscure tunes where there is likely no commercial source of the sheet music, and little likelihood of its ever seeing print. Will I give that to a fellow musician? Probably.

I have already PAID for legal copies of several fake books, usually TWICE (once in Eb and once in Bb.) Do I, or should I feel guilty about downloading a concert version without paying a THIRD time?

If I PLAY that tune in a venue that is ALREADY paying ASCAP and BMI for the right to have it performed, is THAT fair?

The intent of Copyright was to protect the Intellectual Property of the author/composer and his or her heirs. If the heirs do not care enough to renew the copyright after fifty years such that it gets swooped up by a multi-millionaire, do I feel "unethical" depriving that corporation of $.000002 of income?

There is such as thing as blindly following laws which do not make sense (http://www.dumblaws.com) There are plenty in each state. I have the utmost respect for PG Music and I don't think it violates a trust to have a DISCUSSION on a forum hosted by them on a topic germane to their products. As far as I know, Canada upholds the rights of free speech in the same manner as the U.S.

Last edited by PhillyJazz; 12/28/14 02:43 AM.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables