Originally Posted By: raymb1
Bob is probably talking about "Autumn Leaves" being used on a recording for profit without paying the royalty fees or in a club that hasn't paid the ASCAP or BMI fees. No one cares about your use of the song at home. Later, Ray

Well, since the thread is called "Jazz Fake books with Melodies ( not just chords ) for BIAB", I thought we were discussing specifically about the legal / ethical aspects of downloading and using Jazz Fake Books in MGU (a set of chords and a MIDI melody) format.

So, If we're speaking about this specific issue, I would say that nobody in the world would use the MIDI melody of a MGU file (that is, the copyrighted element of the file) in a professional jazz recording. If you think about that, it just doesn't make any sense.

On the other hand, although I don't use BIAB in live situations in clubs, I would say that 99% of the people who do that, just mute the melody track to play the melody themselves. Playing along BIAB in a club with the MIDI melody ON just doesn't make much sense either

So (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) to me it's clear that the great majority of people using jazz standards in MGU format use the files for educational purposes only, just to learn the melody taking advantage of the many features that BIAB offers to make this task much easier (notation, transposing, speeding down the melody, bar looping, playing along the chordsheet, etc, etc, etc). Let's appeal to common sense: what's wrong with that?

Last edited by Cerio; 12/29/14 06:16 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.