Originally Posted By: Cerio
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

I know that the money I pay is not distributed fairly and the big corporations get the lion's share of the money, but I don't want anyone giving away my hard work, so I don't steal or give away the hard work of others.

Bob, do you think that using a MGU version of "Autumn Leaves" (for example) for learning the melody and practicing at home is stealing the hard work of others?

If you didn't buy it and the songwriter and publishers weren't paid for it, copyright law says "Yes".

You could have purchased it in a songbook and they would have a few more pennies in their bank account and of course if thousands of people did the same thing, they are out quite a few dollars.

You could have purchased the sheet music and they would have gotten more money. Or purchased a legal recording and learned it by ear.

There are 'fair use' laws, a teacher is allowed to copy music for a student. But if that goes to court, it gets really sticky. It's best if the teacher is a licensed teacher and the student is paying for lessons. If you just declare yourself "teacher" and the recipient "student" it doesn't work. But I'm not a lawyer, don't take this as legal advice.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks