Quote:
I actually enjoy practicing quietly (e.g. without too much volume), so my 'cheap' yamaha nylon-string, which isn't the greatest for playing live acoustic without amplification, is excellent for practice.

It sounds like the banjo might actually be 'annonyingly' loud for me during practice - maybe without the resonator is the way to go.

Considering the above, I would recommend getting an open back. Even quiet banjos are louder than most people like.

Quote:
Is it a simple matter of putting a resonator on and off manually ? or is it something that needs to be semi-permanently to permanently affixed ?

The resonator is usually easily removed with a few thumb screws, but having a resonator also means there has to be a flange around the banjo. After you remove the resonator the flange will dig into your leg if you play sitting down and it will poke you in the chest while standing up. Whether you play sitting or standing you’ll need to use a strap so you can hang onto the thing.

Deering does make good banjos. You may want to consider moving up to the Goodtime Classic open back banjo. It cost a couple of hundred more, $689.00, but it is a step up in quality and you get away from that blonde look. It would also be easier to sell if you ever want get rid of it.

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/products/classic-goodtime-5-string-banjo