Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

This sounds as professional as anything I've heard that's come out of demo studios in Nashville. It's radio material through and through – brilliant writing, brilliant singing, brilliant production.

There's nothing quite like the discreet use of hyperbole to raise the bar of emotional intensity in lyrics.

Personally, I find hyperbole a powerful songwriting tool and I always keep it in mind as a lyric development device. For this reason, I tend to use it later in a song's lyrics: often verse 2 or the bridge.

You've employed it way up front in the chorus! It's never occurred to me to do that. To my ears, your use of it was very effective. I thought that using the exaggeration of...

• around every corner, on ev'ry face i meet
    on ev'ry cobblestone of every street

...was a very skilful way of showing us just how much this woman was inside the head of this guy and how this has trapped him in a web of misery that's pretty much impossible for him to escape from. It set-up the phrase "over-crowded memories" perfectly! The lyric sequence worked for me smile

Really, really terrific songwriting.

More please!
Noel

P.S. Great key change!

P.P.S. I've just seen that David Cuny also talks about "cobblestones" from a different perspective. It's good to have multiple views on things!

Noel - Thanks for another delightful discussion on a lyric! And thank you for the multiple "brilliant"'s... That made me smile... I also appreciate you providing the hyperbole backup - it is, in fact, the point to that section of the song - an exaggeration of exasperation...
Watching Liza wears you out! She does work it...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
First of all, great execution (as usual). Great singing, production, clever lyrics...

My only issue is the song is a bit too clever in spots. I can overlook "small talk", but "cobblestones" breaks the fourth wall completely.

That said, I particularly like:

if we could cut it down the middle, divide it with a fence
maybe my heart would stand half a chance...

smile

David - thanks for the listen and your thoughts... I'm not sure why "small talk" would give you pause... I get that "cobblestones" is perhaps archaic (though there are still plenty of cobblestone streets in certain areas) - it was intended as an exaggeration - as Noel pointed out... I appreciate you taking the time...

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

great song again!
Lyrics, music, vocals, everything the usual high standard.
Have I already mentioned that I'm a fan?

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter... I certainly appreciate that...