Bob, I have both an old iPad 2 and an iPhone 6, with quite a few indispensable music apps, and no Mac. I have had phones with 16 GB that worked fine as far as storage, though my current one is 64. The real problem with any iOS product is the internal memory limit of 1 GB when using more than one app at a time, not the app storage that you can buy as either 16 or 64 GB. If you don't multitask, 16 would probably be adequate. Correct, you cannot expand after purchase. I use an app, System Status, to clear RAM.

Yes, using iTunes and a Lightning to USB cable, you can transfer files from the device to the PC, as well as backup your whole device.

My favorite app is V-Control Pro, which I use to remote control my DAW (SONAR).

Somewhere on this forum is a post from about two years ago with a pretty good list of my music apps, and those used by others.

[EDIT] Wow, it's older than I thought. I went back four years. If you decide to get an iPad, maybe you could start a new thread asking about apps. I'll chip in what I think are good ones.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 02/21/15 01:31 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors