Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
This song must have hit the forum while I was away... my first take is that it sounds like today's country!

No pedal steel, chicken-pickin' or other trademarks of classic country. Instead you use mandolin, which pays homage in a way to the current popularity of the bluegrass sound in country.

Also the guitar decorations have a pop feel to them, and the chord progression is closer to the current 4 chords than it is to the classic country chord progression.

I like the way you sculpted the drums to match the sound of other current country hits.

I also like that you seem to have isolated a signature guitar passage to use throughout the song to establish symmetry and recognizability.

Great lyrics as always, and everything works together to build the mood and message of a hit song!

edit:
Dang, Floyd.. you really need to be famous! We don't understand.. WHAT'S THE HOLDUP??? You're doing everything right!

Wasn't expecting this one to pop back up... and I would normally just let it slide back down, but y'all are simply being too nice to not say a quick "Thank You"...
Pat - I appreciate the mention of the signature guitar passage. There was some discussion some time back (there have been many, actually) where people state that the only way to have "signature guitar licks" is to play them yourself... and that that is a limitation with BIAB... I don't believe that for a second... so wanted to "drive that point home" - it is simple to find licks within the BIAB tracks to pull out and repeat to give a production a musical hook... a little imagination goes a long way...

Thanks, also for noticing the fact that this is "not your granmpa's Country". I think it's good to recognize that BIAB has plenty of stuff for current sounds - you just have to start using them...

Famous? I am famous - right here in the PG forum - with the 8-10 people who contribute to the conversation - you being one of those... a great group of people!!!

Originally Posted By: davidgitar
Floyd,

This track is just unbelievable in every way and it shows just how deep your understanding is of all the facets of a hit song. You get the well known truth that "Less is More" when it comes to laying music tracks for a song as well as when to do something or not to do something.

Being a guitarist, I always dig a great guitar solo but also know if you want to do what's right for a song, you have to give it what it needs. This track is perfect like it is. It doesn't need a solo of any kind and you absolutely nailed this one to the wall! Bravo!!!

BR, David

David - I really do appreciate you saying such nice things! BIAB provides the tools required to get that sound - I think it is important that we show that off if we can... and it is done nicely by so many here - in so many different ways...

Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
I am also in the "I like everything about this song" crowd.

Not only are you an outstanding lyricist you are also an outstanding producer, singer, guitarist, mix engineer etc!.

This was perfect!

Mario said it all for me.

Why aren't you famous with songs/productions like this????

I shall read your technical post later for ideas!!

pure floyd jane genius

Alyn

Ah...gee...Alyn... you're gonna make it hard to wear my hat!!!