It all depends... on lots of things.

First, there's no easy, simple answer to this, such as ... do this and waaaa laaaa......and especially in a single post in a forum thread. But this is my 2 cents worth in the first post.....

I find it easier to work in Sonar on my final mixing. This lets me add and delete the compressors and EQ and reverbs that I need to use on tracks.

I find that some of the Real Drum tracks in BB/RB can be "seasoned" nicely using a few plugs that I have customized inside my DAW.

I don't have Slate... but I do have a few other drum synths and several of them allow multiple, assignable, track outputs. Having each part of the kit in it's own track or even being able to group things such as "toms" into one output channel and "cymbals" into another tend to make tweeking the kit to perfection much much easier than say using a Real Band real drum track where everything in the kit is on one stereo track.

I tend to be lazy and not really as nitpicking when it comes to drums so I opt for the easy path of whatever real band can deliver in most cases.

The best way to learn how to get that "BIG KIT" sound is to play around with the drums in SOLO mode and do that in a DAW that allows easy insert and removal of plugs. Be sure the speakers are capable of letting you hear what's going on with the mix. Then it's a matter of playing around with the compressors, EQ's that you have in your tool box. and the reverb. Since drums in a kit tend to span the entire frequency range from the low freq thump of the kick to the high end of the cymbals, using a multi-band compressor is real handy for the compression.... you don't necessarily want to compress the cymbals at the same rate as the kick.... multiband's let you control the freq bands separately. Same with EQ... if everything is ion one track, use a multi-band point EQ... similar to a graphic. Para-Q works fine on individual drums, but using them on the whole kit is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Don't overcompress the drums. Perhaps the kick needs heavier compression than the rest, but avoid too much compression or you suck the life and dynamics out of the kit.

If you're new to mixing and need a good place to start, download this and keep it on your computer after you read it.

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/support-resources/guides/

Get the first 2 guides. Mixing & mastering

It's specific to the products they sell BUT.... great information that crosses the lines to ALL mixing and mastering.

Ask specific questions as you begin to understand more.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.