This hasn't been mentioned so I'll ask. What's the source recording of the drum track you're working with? I'm mostly used to me doing a live recording of a live drummer so then the mic's and placement are critical and I can go on and on about that but if you're working with prerecorded drums of any sort including midi drums using a synth, then that's a whole other thing.

With a prerecorded track and that can be audio loops, Real Drums or samples in a synth, try something simple like plugging in a basic 10 band EQ as in PG Music's 10 band EQ and use that to isolate the different parts of the kit. Cymbals are hiding around 5-8K, the kick is around 100-500K or so, the snare is in the middle and so on. If it's muddy lower those low freq's a bit. How much is a bit? Who knows, just experiment until you find out. EQ alone can get you a long way.

Lots of folks here have expensive DAWS like Sonar or Pro Tools and use expensive third party plugins like OZONE, T-Racks etc but don't overlook the PGM audio plugs. They were written by some of the same software sound designers who worked on those expensive mixing suites. The PG plugs have a bland appearance, no cool Starship Enterprise lightshow but behind those visuals lies the exact same software and the PG stuff can produce very good results.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.