A good song with a good vocal performance and good instrumental arrangement but the vocal and instruments from two different sound sources of unequal quality clash. You have done a good job with blending the two sources and a bit of tweaking can make it a more than passable production if that is your goal. At this point in your mix, the vocal mix is a bit muddy as well a sounding over processed with effects. Here on the forum, we don't know the true quality of the cassette vocals that you started with. Were the vocals printed effects from the original recording? Had age effected the overall quality and much of the high end lost? Was the original cassette recording recorded at the highest fidelity or at a lower fidelity? There are many variables that will affect the quality and blend of your final project but from where you are with it at this point, my thought is that you can continue to work with what you have and improve it somewhat but there's a limit to how good a result you will be able to achieve. According to your goal, will it be worth the time and effort?

It is a good song and arrangement and I would likely cut to the chase and record a new vocal track.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 03/26/15 03:19 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.