Quote:
We have differences in nouns to identify things. When we start calling things by other names to include them into some group, we corrode the language and impair communication.

If we start calling DJs musicians, do we then have to call musicians DJs as well? After all, you are implying the two are interchangeable.

I'm not saying not to differentiate. There are general nouns, and more specific nouns. It's not corroding the language to specify this.

By your argument we shouldn't call an orange a fruit, because an apple is a fruit, and they are clearly not the same thing?

"Fruit" and "Musician" are general terms. "Guitarist", "DJ" are more specific. I will say that "DJ" is a term that isn't AS specific though. It has several meanings.

Quote:
Do you get the right picture in your head when in conversation someone says, "My brother is a musician" when he spins records and plays samples?

And if you ask, "Oh, what instrument does he play?" will a turntable and Ableton "live" button array come into your mind before the answer comes back to you?

The fact they had to ask what instrument he plays proves that "musician" is a general term. Because it means different things to different people, the person had to clarify. That actually made my point.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/15/15 03:29 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.