Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
1) The goal of discussion isn't to bring everyone in the room to the same opinion... it is to obtain an awareness that is bigger than personal opinion, one based on the thinking of many minds. There is value in that for anyone who wants it.

2) Good discussion is an art form. In order to obtain it there must be "parliamentary rules" that make it possible for people to express their ideas without being punished.

3) All the rules of discussion revolve around preserving the dignity of everyone in the discussion. If you can accomplish that, you can have conversations on any topic without fighting.

4) Without that agreed upon respect what happens is that people seek to "win" by mocking anyone who disagrees with them. Worst case scenario is when mocking degenerates to personal attacks.

5) In the days of the open forums of discussion the ancients really understood the art of debate. They identified and catalogued most (if not all) of the false arguments and explained why they are false. To this crowd it was generally accepted that the person with the weakest argument would be the first to resort to fallacious reasoning or personal attacks. To them such an approach was automatically interpreted as an implied defeat.

My hat is off To all those who have tried to observe the parliamentary rules of discussion. That speaks well of your open-mindedness and respect for people, as well as your respect for clarity in communication.

I'm not sure I have EVER seen this expressed better. I'm sure I have violated some of these, but it is never my intent to belittle anyone. Just to be clear on that!

I do take the time to read each and every post people make. What many times may look at disagreement, to me, is simply a challenge for "how did you come to that conclusion." Not a challenge, as in, you are wrong. More like, I don't think that way, tell me more...and I may change my mind.

I know my reasons why I feel the way I do, and work hard to express them. I find a big enough segment of people haven't put much thought into subjects they have strong opinions on. When asked questions, they can't express why, or really have reasons. This, at times, makes them angry. That is NOT what I am going for...ever!

Respect to all in this thread. I've seen threads go MUCH worst, as I'm sure we all have.

I'm impressed!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.