Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I know this because I usually mow the lawn at least once during the course of a song's creation.

Writing WHILE mowing is a GREAT way to write songs. Really. Or driving (but it has to be a truck - an F150 works great)...

Seriously.... writing while doing some other "mindless" activity is a great way to "get out of your own way" - and write a very SINGABLE song... (careful in the truck, though).

Noel - I enjoy your PG song blogs!!!

Hey floyd,

I'm embarrassed.... This post of yours slipped past me for some reason!!! I wasn't even mowing the lawn at the time!

Sometimes words and/or music do come to me when I'm driving along. It's not all that often, though. Driving a Mazda 3 rather than an F-150 probably doesn't help. In addition, when I'm working on a song, I change the words and the music around so many times that I lose the ability to keep the latest creations in my head. For what it's worth, Craig Bickhardt once told me that he likes to work on lyrics when he's swimming. For Cynthia Weill ("You've Lost That Loving Feeling", a co-write with husband Barry Mann), similar to you, she works on lyrics while driving. I remember reading that she even goes driving so that she can purposefully stimulate lyrics. Seems that your theory is in good company!

If I ever get the chance to drive an F-150, I'll let you know if creativity came along for the ride!

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024