Quote:
I've listened to the Henley CD a few times now. I think it will be interesting to see how it is received. There will be a certain segment of his fan base that don't like it (too Country).

here in NC the people who were Henley fans in the 70s pretty much all moved on to country... so I think it will be well received here.

Quote:
There is nothing about it that "lights a new spark" to what is essentially a 90's Nashville sound. Which is a shame, because it did have the potential to get people to re-evaluate that... There are no real standout songs (IMO) like there typically are on a Henley record (although I really like "Words Can Break Your Heart").

I think in this case it isn't so much about something new as it is about reminding people that the past is worth holding onto. (And certainly not worth trading for something of lesser value.)

Henley has enough established fans... and so do the people who appeared on his CD... to make industry people sit up and take notice that there is still a market in baby boomers. If it even delays the move away from 90s country, then... mission accomplished?

Quote:
It's cool that you are pushing the Merlefest thing here...

I just think that there are multiple people on this forum who write MUCH better songs than the ones that have won this contest the past few years, and nothing would please me more than to see ALL of the prizes go to forum members in 2016. WE already know who writes the killer songs... the judges won't know unless y'all submit something!

Every song writer has his/her gem, the one they regard mostly highly. (Dang, Floyd.. you have a whole jewelry store full!)

35 bucks is chump change compared to the potential here.

With Taxi, people pay money (a lot more than $35) in HOPE that it will get forwarded to a decision maker. In this contest, the judges ARE decision-makers... so effectively, 100% of submissions will get through to somebody... in fact, to MULTIPLE somebodies... of industry standing.

So just by submitting one song, you are already ahead of the average TAXI member... you will have gotten one through!

I hope EVERYBODY here submits something. Oct 1st is when they start accepting submissions.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. But maybe a year from now your "people" will be intercepting all email, and I'll never be able to contact you again. ;-)