Originally Posted By: AxeSax
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, though, I only want a small jazz combo set up. I would not want all the pop, country, funk, gypsy jazz, folk etc things at all. I appreciate having it all at your fingertips means not wanting anything extra for the future - in my case I've been there, done that, and am content with the small jazz combo fakery. The steep learning curve has started! My next problems will start when I get what ever package[s] are necessary...exciting times. Cheers.

OK so my revised suggestion is to get the PRO package for $129. I think it will have much of what you want. It will help you get started with jazz and it gives you a fair number of real tracks to play with. Real Tracks are freaking amazing. 10,000% better than using straight midi.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.pro.htm#procombos

There are a number of jazz combo's and styles there that use 200 real tracks. In addition, you get 400 midi styles to play with. Not all, but a large number of those should be jazz styles.

Here's the thing, if you decide it's not enough, you can always call PG and move up to the next package. I made a mistake one year and bought the wrong package by mistake. It was not what I really wanted and needed. When I realized I had the wrong product, I called PG and they simply asked me to pay the difference and they would get the correct one to me. They have the best customer service hands down, of all the companies I deal with regarding music related items.

Start with the Pro package and get your feet wet, and see if that does the job. I'll bet it will.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.