Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We joined floyd in having to look up frangipani! smile and like him we thought the chorus was
outstanding.

Watching the video was quite a ride for us "grab three chords and hang on" old bluegrass
pickers. Structures like that are light years beyond our writing...but that doesn't mean
we can't enjoy them especially as we tend more to listening to the "total package" rather
than parsing components out.

Thematically wise we really like these "longing for something out there" songs and this is perfect
for that. Some of the dots are connected and others are left for the listener.

Add a fine vocal, arrangement and RT choice and it becomes very nice ear candy. BTW, it's
interesting that the inspiration came from a loop...we've heard that before from musicians
and it such an interesting way to start.

Thanks for the chance to hear (and watch) this! It was really enjoyable.

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud,

Thanks for visiting. To be honest, I'm really impressed with how the loop got me up and running. As mentioned earlier in the thread, all I did was to keep on playing it over and over and over.... First I found myself humming along with it and then some sounds came along. The image of a sunset on a tropical island sailed in next and so I sat down and wrote a couple of hundred words about being on a tropical island. Basically, I just let my thoughts flow where they took me. Just in case you're interested, here's what I wrote (Andrea Stolpe calls it Destination Writing)...

Quote:
DESTINATION WRITING: Tropical Island Sunset

Tonight is the 527th time that I've stood up here watching the sunset dissolving into the Atlantic. The sun and the ocean always perform an award-winning duet. Tonight dappled red and orange shimmers and sparkles on ripples and spreads out like a huge, multi-coloured Japanese paper fan. The Atlantic, as always, stretches as far as I can see. Just below my feet the highest point on the island, a sheer cliff face, plunges 50 or so metres down and sinks vertically into the sapphire blue. Waves lap at the bottom where rock and water greet one another. Tonight, the scent of frangipani rides the gently rolling breeze. Could I fly if I jumped? With all my heart I wish I could. It's been nearly 1.5 years since my boat capsized and I managed to swim here. Just me, some monkeys and other wildlife. That's all. Mostly it's enough to be alive but tonight I'm aching with loneliness. If my calculations are correct, today is my birthday. Mum, Dad and Sarah are somewhere out there beyond the edge of the sunset. Are they, right now, missing me as much as I'm missing them?

After the destination writing, my mind was tuned into the situation and lyrics started to come together. The writing also gave me the title and the opening lyrics so that was a bonus!

Creating this song was a great journey. So much so that I'm working with another loop now!

Once again, thanks for dropping in. I appreciate the visit.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024