I'm always extremely impressed by the level of quality in your video productions. In addition, you write good music and do the technicals on that very well also.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Rob goes country and Floyd goes Orbison!! Really nice song, and what a delivery! Rob is an excellent singer but this one belongs to Floyd. I'm guessing Rob mixed it-a little more verb and a little more emphasis on the vocal. Great BGs by AM. The whole thing just works wonderfully well! Great job all! Take care. Greg

I have to agree with this assessment. A good first shot attempt at country music. Personally, I thought the song tended to be closer to MOR, Easy Listening or even Adult Contemporary as opposed to country. The chord progression and singing was leaning towards Roy Orbson's style in a few places. If the steel wasn't there, it would loose a lot of it's "slightly country" feel and no one would mistake this for a country song.

Part of that whole, "not feeling totally country" to my ears, came from the use of the key changes. You started in one key for the verses and modulated to a new one for the choruses and returned to the original key again. You gotta in mind when writing country music, that country music, for the most part, uses pretty basic chord progressions, and modulations tend to be 1/2 step or whole steps up, not back and forth. If the goal is to write a country song that sounds unmistakably country, the chords should be simple and adhere to the norm. I realize that by stating that you need to adhere to the "norm", a lot of people's hair just stood on end and veins are throbbing in their foreheads.... but.... I'm simply stating this as a point, not as a criticism of the chords you did choose to use.

The lyrics tended to be a bit on the esoteric side. Perhaps a bit too much for country but perfect for rock and other genres. Country likes to have answers and this lyric doesn't give much to the listener in regards to answers, leaving much to the listener to attempt to figure out. After listening a few times and reading the lyrics, and watching the video.... I'm still wondering myself what this is about and what is going on. Country lyrics would make it fairly clear in one way or another. Think of a typical country song as a 3 minute movie script. Introduction, characters, plot, resolution.

The vox were not as upfront and present as is normally heard in country or a FJ production for that matter. Still easily heard and understood. No big issues there.

My observations are not so much a critique of the song itself as it is guidance on how to improve your writing if you're trying to write a country song that passes muster as a genuine country song. In a genre other than country, this song works well just as it is.

Good song, great job by all.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/27/15 02:22 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.