RUSH!!! The band, not the radio personality.

Switching to the laptop to listen....

Guitars need to come up through out and especially in the chorus. Way up.

Same thing with the bass.

This is essentially a guitar song.... bass and guitar should be carrying this. Currently both are way too low and subdued in the mix.

OK, I looked back at the tracks listing.... I was listening to the guitars and thought to myself they sounded like they were not cranked..... but instead were distorted from pedals and recorded at lower volume/gain levels. They lack the crunch of cranked tubes and it's evident in the sustained power chords. They don't last.

Having at least one live cranked guitar would fill this out wonderfully and mix well with the BB tracks.

As far as the song itself, man, I really like this. Nice job.

dcuny: please no cowbell. However, listen to some RUSH tunes and then remix this with THAT style in mind. All 3 of the instruments..... BASS, DRUMS, and GUITAR are critical and need to be proportionally loud enough and have the proper EQ to make them stand out yet blend. Consider getting a live chorded track and get it recorded 2 times so you can also double it into a wide stereo field. I see where there's a B3 in there..... keep that low like you have it. Don't really need to hear it and if you layer the guitars, it's not really needed at all. 3 instruments can carry this nicely.

Use some compression to get the kick and bass really working together. Multi-band lets you kick the bottom and keep the top open. Getting a good EQ on the drums is critical and the cymbals absolutely need to be there in this genre. Drums should be fat, full, crisp and HUGE. The kick should work with the bass and should give the listener the sensation of having CPR performed on them..... (well...kind of.... I think you get the idea) We need to feel the drums.

This is a good 89% of the way to being ready to go.

I'm looking forward to hearing this finished properly.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/30/15 03:30 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.