David, Always upload your songs with the highest mp3 resolution (320kbs). Some players will reduce that to 128.

Done properly, you should still get a very good representation of the music. Much depends on how you are listening. Phones and laptops are not the best to playback media. However, using good buds makes even those players sound good.

Don't use what T Petty said as an excuse for sub-par mixes because while what he said is a bit exaggerated, (1/100th?) to most people, to the average listener, the mp3 at 128, 320, and a wave all sound too close to really tell the difference. Not including musicians and audiophiles in that list necessarily.

I listened to your song on some tiny 3" Altec Lansing computer speakers. The mix sounded pretty decent overall. It has a Bob Dylan feel. It reminded me of the groove in Tangled up in Blue....

Crits: The word ALABAMA doesn't fit neatly into the rhythmic phrasing smoothly like it should. Chord clash issues at 1:15 Aside from those 2 nits.... the song is generally pretty good.

Maybe you can bring the NSAI review to our next meeting (12/16) and demo this song for the group with the comments by NSAI, because I'm curious to see what the reviewer thought of this.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/02/15 02:53 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.