Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well, they used to have one mic in the studio and there was ONE TAKE.... learn the song, rehearse the song, then sing it into the mic. Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, Bob Wills, Elvis, Patsy Cline,..... the list goes on and on...... all recorded that way and sound just fine. In fact, compare Cline's one take vocals to any of the singers out today.

I love a lot of the old music and certainly appreciate how they had to do it! Can you imagine nowadays having to splice a tape when I can do that digitally in a few seconds?

But, I also recognize that, regardless of whether or not you prefer it, today's music, studio performance, recording, mixing, mastering, etc. is far more sophisticated, and I would say a lot better, than my old Hank Williams records! That is just obvious progress during 60+ years of experience!

Quote:
How do you even listen to 100 tracks and say, .... in the 2nd verse, line two, word number 3 last syllable of the 3 syllable word is the best out of all the 100 tracks.... give me a freaking break!!!

Yeah, I agree 100%! I find it a chore to even work through 5 tracks. It encourages me to work harder to learn and sing the song better because that part is actually more fun than the sorting through a bunch of mediocre performances!