Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
You are certainly a song writing machine. Another good song. And another good mix.

I think it was Charlie who pointed out your song was on the "hot" side. So I compared it to a random sampling of other songs here because I have also noticed the levels in your songs are louder than most others, some by a considerable margin. This is the case as determined by me in a non-scientific sampling of a few other songs posted on the forum page. Compared to my mixes, yours are clearly louder.

Not necessarily a bad thing, because for the most part, it's well mixed. But I have to wonder if backing off the levels in the final stages of production, not squeezing every dB out of the mix would yield a more clean and open top end? I've heard the distortion that was mentioned. It's very subtle. I had been attributing it to my speakers for the most part.But if others hear it maybe it's not the speakers... (crappy little computer speakers)...

just thinking out loud here. I'd be curious to see the wave as it came out of your studio and was posted.... or the mp3.

The levels thing is just a nit. The song, the lyrics, the mix... all are mighty fine examples of how it's done.

Thanks, Herb. This one may have ended up a bit louder than most because the tracks were mixed together and then processed to increase the tempo and then the vocals added after that. I had created the tracks at 85 and decided (after recording vocals) that it was too slow. I didn't care enough about the song to re-do all the tracks, so I mixed them and bumped the tempo to 92. Then recorded new vocals. The overall sound was created to sound like "top 40"...

However, I have listened on computer speakers as loud as I can stand to listen - really crank! - really LOUD - and I don't get any distortion. I cranked the monitors as loud as I dare (do NOT want to blow those) - and listened in earbuds as loud as I dare (don't want to blow the ears either) and, again, don't get distortion.... As comparisons go, a lot of forum song could stand to be louder... and mine are never as loud as Tom's (I always reach for the volume knob before playing his). In rotation with current country CDs (on an iPod) this song is at the same level. No discernible volume change one way or the other...
Thanks for the listen and the thoughts.....

Here is the mp3 that you are listening to through the middle of the first chorus...

..and for comparison, here is Lee Brice's "That's When You Know It's Over" - a similar slice:

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Another masterpiece from Floyd!

Not only are you a songwriting machine you are an outstanding songwriting poet! Your lyrics were perfect here, including the mid-song twist. Loved it!

Noel said it the best:

Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

Brilliant song... yet again!

Your performance is outstanding and perfectly complemented by Janice's backing vocals. The thing that really stood out is just how incredibly professional everything sounded. The instruments you've used and the way you've mixed them just couldn't get any better. The melody and the chords... fantastic! This work could stand proudly beside anything coming out of professional studios. This song is definitely at the 'champagne and caviar' end of the spectrum of material that passes through this forum. Once more you've left me sitting here pondering.

All the best,
Noel

This is an outstanding piece of music!

Mario - I certainly appreciate all that... you are most kind...