Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Interesting topic. But, why would we end users be concerned with how or why the program is developed, programmed and compiled?

Because of the resulting size of the program and the speed it runs. The smaller the program the faster it loads. The more compact the code, the speedier the program is.

It is a [*****] to program, but written by very good programmers in Assembler the program would be much smaller and faster. The problem with third, fourth, fifth generation program languages (#GL) is that they are often very comfortable to use for the programmer but also create a lot of bulky overhead within the program. In Assembler you would have to program the GUI, in a 4GL you select the features and the appropriate module is loaded.

But in general: I don't care -- as long as my computer is fast enough and the necessary memory can be accessed.

(In the times when Bill Gates had said: "640 KB of memeory should be more than enough for everybody.2: The smallest program I've written in Assembler has had a size of 9 bytes. It gave back an errorlevel number indicating which key was pressed to control DOS batch programs. This program would have never been so small using another language except machine code.)

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build