Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
OK, I have determined that the EZKey Library is all "real player" midi which is equivalent to the BIAB super midi.

I know BIAB is 480PPQ - don't know what EZKeys is.

So do you think that is the primary difference I am experiencing here?

Here's my 2 cents worth, Dan...
The problem with most of the midi we find online is that it wasn't played by real people. The reason why that matters is that the best synths have many layers so the sound is different when the velocity is harder or softer. Generated MIDI typically has less variation in the velocity, so it lacks the "real" sound.

This is basically why Notes Nortons styles have been so popular: he played the parts, and the artist's nuances were captured as part of the style.

The MIDI supertracks are the same deal (but the artists are all famous performers), and it sounds like this EZKeys package you are looking at is based on the same advantage.

Capturing the nuances in the MIDI itself is only part of the magic. The playback synth has to be layered enough to reproduce that much nuance. So if you are playing Super Midi Tracks through the basic coyote forte synth, it won't sound as good as it would if you send it through one of the many top-notch synths that are currently available.

After looking at the ad for EZKeys, it looks like they provide the whole package of quality MIDI and a top notch playback synth

Regarding PPQ: in Realband you can set that to whatever you want. Unless your project begins and ends with BIAB, it doesn't matter that its PPQ is, because you'll be rendering the MIDI through a synth at whatever PPQ is in your mixing DAW