Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Hello David! Welcome to the forum!

Somebody in the comments above characterized your song as country, but I didn't hear it that way... to me you sound like a cross between Cat Stevens and Gordon lightfoot... sort of a folky/Americana/Heartland hybrid.

That style isn't too far removed from the stuff that's currently being played at places like Merlefest... and given the momentum of genres very close to what you are doing, you might consider riding the wave and using more bluegrass instruments in your songs. They'd fit well, and I've noticed that using a banjo in a song doesn't necessarily make it sound like bluegrass.

Anyway, nice song! If you were tutored by (the other) David, I'm guessing you live in NC too? Man, this forum is being taken over by North Carolinians! ;-)

Well Pat THANKS! Cat Stevens and Gordon Lightfoot I definitely listened enough to those two. Thanks for the compliment. I live in Raleigh NC and work with the other David (MENTOR) Snyder see posts above. But, I find it interesting you mentioned Merlfest. My biggest influence for the last 4 years has been the Kruger Brothers. And if you know Merlfest you know them well as they are a mainstay there. Huge fans and friends with Doc Watson. There is a mandolin in the mix on "Maybelline" its on the off beat. I have a new tune I'm working on that has a lead Banjo, 2 - 12 string guitars, 2 electric guitars, a Nashville/Country drum kit, and Upright bass, it's in 3/4 Waltz Swing time. Its my first attempt to create a custom style. I call it rockin' the grass. Writing and singing in 3/4 timing is tricky for me so I have a lot of work before this one is going to come out.

Last edited by dga; 04/05/16 04:32 PM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"