Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Greg, so much to say about this song!

First of all, I hope we get to meet someday... I think we are kindred spirits in every way except song writing talent (I don't have any). So many of the observations you make (whether through song lyrics or even through forum reviews) resonate strongly with me! And I don't get that vibe from very many people, so it jumps out at me when I find it. I agree with your shout-outs to the people who participated in your project! What a great community!

Regarding the love this song speaks about: I have to identify through discussions with my son about his efforts to find a compatible mate. He describes the games in much the same way as your song does. I thought your various word choices were brilliant:

"We’ve approached this love from every direction except for straight ahead" (clever use of terminology, segue between physical direction and tactical direction)

"Our words have been disguised and measured before they have been said" (considering the importance of trust in a real loving relationship, this line reveals the core problem)

"We’re veterans of the game of love and virgins of the heart" (masterful line, comparison and contrast! Experienced in the least important things and inexperienced where it really counts)

"We both sit back and play our cards so smart" (makes the point that relationships without trust become a game, which results in a further eroding of trust, ad infinitum)

"So, I’ll wear my heart out on my sleeve, though it fits me kinda strange" (another use of terminology that can have more than one meaning, and it works in both ways... as though the heart were an improperly fitted garment worn in the wrong place, creating social anxiety and potential to fail)

"When you look at me I long to see the child within your soul" (kids tend to be straightforward and sincere, so this line echoes your title in a very interesting way)

"Not a shadow of the man in control" (Ouch! Let the sincerity begin! I see this as a make it or break it challenge, which would tell her whether the person she's talking to is capable of sincerity. If he responds with a sincere acknowledgement of the strategic distance he has put between them... then there's hope. But if he responds with yet another tactic, then she's outta there!

OK, I'll stop there or I'll be writing a Cliff's Notes on your whole lyric set!

I think you've presented a really complex and interesting story to the audience in very succinct and easy to understand (but certainly not simplistic) terms.

Moving on to Janice's part, I think that two of her strengths are that she sings with sincerity and with a certain amount of vulnerability... two traits that make her presentation in this song particularly powerful and believable. Two traits, in fact, that I think she has in more abundance than Bonnie Raitt. I LOVE Bonnie Raitt, but she has a chutzpah about her that would be wrong for this song, whereas Janice's delivery is just perfect.

Josie mentioned a Henley influence, and I hear that too. In fact, I've noticed that your songs typically have a west coast flavor that I don't hear in the songs of other people who post here. We all love the eagles... so why are YOUR songs more inclined to evoke that reference? Interesting. You manage to capture a cynicism mixed with regret, a desire for honesty, but a reluctance to do the things necessary to go there.

Regarding the cello, here are my thoughts:
1) I've noticed that cello in particular benefits from a lot more reverb than most of us feel comfortable using. I think that's because large bodied wooden instruments have a natural reverberation that needs to be accounted for.

2) but most of all, bowed instruments almost always need to be tweaked in the lower pane with envelopes. Bowed instruments start out quiet and get louder, so you have to tweak the attack of almost every note.

3) Also if you know how to tweak the velocity, that can make a HUGE difference in the way strings sound. If cellos and violins are produced with all notes having approximately the same velocity it will tend to sound like they were not bowed.

In summary, I just LOVE your songs! I could ramble on and on without ever touching the secret of your excellence, but its there whether I can describe it or not! Great job!

Pat, normally Janice responds to the collabs where she sings and I go along for just the vocal engineering ride...but I want to take the opportunity to thank you for pointing out that she sings with both sincerity and a certain amount of vulnerability. That part of her singing has become more apparent to me the further we move into different genres and Greg handed her a wonderful song to showcase that feeling with. From hardcore traditional bluegrass to tackling a song like this has been quite the journey. I'm very proud of her!

Bud