Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
IMO....this is my decades old process.

After getting the tracks FX decided on mute all tracks...and in this order of things:

1) Get a good mix with only lead vocal, kick, snare and bass track. (pan at 12:00)
2) Then mix in rhythm tracks for guitar, keyboards, synth pads, etc. (pan accordingly)
3) Then mix in hi-hat, cymbals, toms, percussion, etc. (pan accordingly)
4) Then mix in vocal harmonies. (pan accordingly)
5) Check final mix on various mediums if possible, take notes, remix if necessary.
6) Take an ear break for a day, listen again and repeat (5) until satisfied.
7) Mix at very low volume. I use some old Tascam S1010m's as small near fields at this juncture. If I can hear all tracks and just barely hear the bass axe I'll do a mix. Then I'll listen on my KRK Rockit 8's and push a bit more air around for further analysis.

The summed stereo track of all I will have anywhere from -6 to -12 db and I'll master from there.
Also...I think it's critical (over time) to actually know your monitors and monitoring environment which can minimize re-mix frustrations.
I'm comfortable with my ability to mix to my satisfaction...if only I could feel the same about my voice I'd be sleeping in satin sheets.

Of course, personal preference and certain genres may require a different approach.
My songs are more rock/country rock so maybe folk, country, EDM is done quite differently.
I'm still drinking morning mud so I may have missed a minor point or two and reserve the right to correct any unintentional oversight. smile

I'm sure others will chime in too and you can use your best judgment from all suggestions.

Good luck....hope that helps....carry on.

Thanks, I mix at very HIGH levels, and then listen at medium to low levels, is that wrong?

I spend a disproportional amount of time on my Drums and Vocals. I don't have to explain why on the Vocals, but, on the drums in RB imported RD do not have the Kick, Snare, HH, Toms, Cymbals, on separate tracks in a different post I'll explain what I do to compensate for this. It is the only downfall I have had working with RD in RB. SO I apply various effects to isolate these parts.

Last edited by dga; 04/20/16 09:06 AM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"