We're going to have to agree to disagree here, JohnJohnJohn.

To create a UserTrack, I first start by entering a chord progression in to the BIAB grid (or loading one that was already created), and then hit play to generate the backing track (PGMusic's license allows me to do this). That's how you create any song with BIAB. I then record some sort of melody to that chord progression (chord progressions can't be copyrighted), which will ultimately become my User Track, but first...

If I use MIDI to record that melody (perhaps from my keyboard), I need to use a MIDI sound library to be able to even hear what I recorded, be it the Microsoft WAVTable or an IK Sampletank library or whatever. Sound Library manufacturers sell you their products to allow you to do just that. I then convert my song to an audio (WAV) file for the melody/arrangement I created that went along with the chord progression. It's my song.

So, please explain how that is not my song?

And I don't have to pay ID royalties to play my song just because I used a sound library as my sound source (because the license permits you to create and sell/give away a song using their sound libraries). At this point, I can do anything I want to with my song, to include releasing it as a User Track and allowing other users to slice and dice that melody for their own songs. If I want to distribute my song in one or two bar phrases (as would happen using the User Track engine), it's still my song. I created it. I only used SampleTank to allow it to be heard.

When I distribute it, I'm not distributing the Sampletank Library, I'm distributing my song that used the SampleTank Library to create the song in the first place. And if I turn it into a User Track, I'm not reselling SampleTank, I'm just reselling (or giving away) snippets of MY song and allow other users to do what User Tracks do.

Now, if I used the User Track to create a known riff or a known (meaning copyrighted) melody, then that's a problem. But my issue won't be with IK, it will be with the copyright holder.

If I have to pay IK for using their libraries as a sound source, then everyone would have to pay IK for every song they created using SampleTank libraries.

So, on this, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com