Quote:
In terms of “authenticity” as Floyd mentioned, I believe I was at my most authentic when I was 12 years recording with my Yamaha acoustic onto a Silvertone cassette player from Sears. I think I am going to try and get back to that era in this era by focusing more on simplicity and who I am rather than trying to “write for the market.”

I like the goal of searching for and trying to recapture the musical authenticity of a whole-hearted kid with a guitar and cassette recorder. There are people here who wear all the hats well, and it's easy to fall into a trap of believing that we all need to be engineers. It is my opinion that we shouldn't all have the same goal... it is the nature of creativity that we all want something different and new.

The music itself is the foundation. The 12 year old kid intuitively knew that. Speaking for myself, I'd far rather hear heartfelt music that is recorded simply than to hear a highly polished song with no soul.

My biggest objection to this song is that I got the impression from the start that your choice of a topic was entirely based on commercial appeal toward a specific demographic. It didn't have the ring of a personal story that you needed to tell in order to find internal peace.

Would the 12 year old kid have written this song? If not, I guess that's what you're trying to rediscover.

You're an interesting guy, David. I hope we meet some day. I passed thru Raleigh a couple of times in the past week, and I thought of you each time.