Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Noel,

as I listened through this song, it occurred to me I was smiling... then it occurred to me that ALL of your songs have that effect on me! Whatever magical ingredient inspires joy, you seem to know how to inject it into your songs!

These lyrics are really clever on so many levels, and I know its because of all the time you've invested in the art of effective lyric writing. (It's paying off in a big way!) I especially like the line
Quote:
"If you were a season I know you'd be summer"

Another recurring theme in your work (as opposed to so many other forum songs) is that other songs sound like they'd be something I might hear in a club, whereas your songs consistently sound like something I'd hear in a Broadway production or Hollywood musical... maybe even a "chick flick". Is that on purpose, or has it just worked out that way?

I also note that you've provided a write-up of how you developed the song! Thanks for that! You know I always like to learn from the masters!

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it a great deal.

I'm hardly a master! All I do is read books, listen to others and use the lenses they offer to give me a means of analyzing what others have done over the decades. There is so very much that I don't know and probably will never know!

In relation to a Broadway sound, I sometimes hear that too. For many of my songs, I imagine a scene on a stage and I write lyrics to go with that unfolding scene. Whatever the scenario is, that imagined scene becomes the 'primary moment' of the song.

• For example: In "Don't Want To Go", I imagined Columbine and Harlequin in a stage setting. The lighting was dimmed and there was an orange glow filtering through the window on stage right. They were lying in bed. Columbine was asleep and Harlequin had just put the alarm on his mobile phone onto snooze. That was the song's 'moment'. Everything developed from there.

Maybe this is what's coming through. I don't know. Also, the use of AABA form is one that's been used a great deal theatrically.

Thanks again... now if only I could be half as creative as you, I'd have it made!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024