Originally Posted By: Matcham
Floyd, David and Janice, congratulations! Great collaboration. I can only agree with all of the comments above. Each element of the song from the lyrics to vocals to production all comes together beautifully in a classic country format.

I'd like to throw something out there. It just so happens that last night I watched a video by a songwriter-to-the stars Ralph Murphy. I'm sure many of you have heard of him. Amongst many other opinions about making #1 country singles (the context for this discussion because as people have mentioned this song is in that territory) he insists that the song needs to empower the singer. In other words it needs to firmly place the singer in a positive, almost heroic light. I wonder if the lyrics here do that? In light of Murphy's advice I would be inclined to bend the song more towards redemption, or at least acknowledgement of past wrongdoing so that there is hope of reconciliation with the ex. It could simply be in the final verse - nothing radical required. I wonder how much you value Murphy's advice. A lot of his suggestions are new to me (not really being interested in #1s).

Matcham -

Thanks for the nice words.

Ralph's lectures are very worthwhile for anyone to listen to. (David did a good job of speaking to them.) Ralph's comments are aimed at a very specific area of songwriting - Country Radio songs - though they are valid for many other areas and genres. Writing for Country Radio (cuts) is a very specific market. You have to WANT that with all your heart. Not many people do - and most should not. It is a very narrow field. Very competitive. Plus, understand, that much of what Ralph relates is based on the past - the Country market as it was through the '90's and early 2000's. (The market today is a very different animal). BUT... the idea of the singer being shown in a positive light is always a good idea. Emerging sonwriters should strive for that. It is important to be able to "write to that".

Today's market is quite different...so some of that "positive" no longer applies. Particularly if you write for the women of Country. Many of them are carrying guns these days - and intend to use them... smile

Also, you need to realize that much of what Ralph teaches is fairly generic and aimed at developing writers. It is all good stuff. Things you need to know and use as one develops as a writer. It is a foundation. But there is a lot more to it. And you learn that as you go. You will often hear "developing writers" parroting this type "rules" back at you - like they are set in stone. They are not. As you move on, things change. The basics still apply, but they change, as well.. it's a learning process. Learn the basic. But don't regurgitate them as gospel. It's a tell.

It really is more "don't have your singer be a jerk". In this song, the singer does show remorse and asks "forgiveness" (in the bridge). And there are more and more artist doing these type songs these days - Chris Stapleton (leading the charge), Jason Eady, Jamey Johnson... and, this is not aimed at "radio" per se... they don't all need to be... sometimes, you just have to say what you need to say...

Ralph's a terrific guy. If you get a chance to meet him, buy him a cigar - but know that his taste level is high - it needs to be an expensive cigar.

Last edited by floyd jane; 08/10/16 12:35 PM.